Los suplementos de ácido fólico han demostrado reducir el riesgo de defectos de nacimiento como espina bífida y anencefalia si se toma bien antes de la concepción. Consulte a su médico sobre la importancia del ácido fólico para su salud ahora y en el futuro.
According to the CDC, Latina women are at greater risk to have lower levels of folate and are more likely to have babies with a Neural Tube Defect. It’s important to educate all women about the importance of folic acid.
Taking 400 mcg of folic acid three to 12 months before getting pregnant can reduce the risk of Neural Tube Defects by 50 to 75 percent. Many birth defects happen in the first few weeks of pregnancy before most women even know they are pregnant. Plus, the majority of pregnancies are not planned.
Folic acid intake can reduce the risk of these birth defects:
- spina bifida – occurs when the spinal column does not close before birth
- anencephaly – when a part of, or the entire, brain does not develop
- congenital heart disease – a malformation of the heart
- cleft lip and palate – abnormal closure of the lip and palate
- limb reduction defects – development of the arms or legs
- obstructive uropathies – abnormal formation of the kidneys or bladder
Folic acid helps cells multiple, which is why it’s known as a “building block of life.” It also helps create strong hair and nails, as well as a smooth complexion by preventing acne.